Monday, January 19, 2009

Joga bonito...

So i went to play futebol today. My first time in Brazil and with brazilians... LOVED IT!
i went with my host brother, Marcos (or Marquinhos) to this place called Playball something. It is a set of private futsal courts that people can rent. So from now on i will be playing there every Monday night from 10 - 12 pm. So, in case you need to find me on Monday nights, you know where i am...

In general, this is going to be a good place to learn a lot about the culture and more specifically the street soccer vocabulary. In case some people don't know, this proves to be very useful not only inside the courts. I have two specific ways to prove this. (1) I now know how to better defend myself in case of an insult dispute with other portuguese speakers; and (2) i know how to say 'calf' and 'ankle' in portuguese.

I should also mention that the group of people is slightly older than me. To put it this way, i am the youngest by about 4 or 5 years, and the majority might be around their high 2os or low 30s... but they could all be considered moderately good at playing the beautiful game. It's good to see and live soccer in a country where it's so important. Playing here also makes me miss playing with my friends in Guatemala and with the Scots (including Scott the scot). Also, I acquired many different nicknames that arised from nationality, looks, age, etc... some of which were 'gringo', 'filho' and 'guatemala'. I happen to like the last one.

p.s.> the schedule for these game-sessions shows how much the city doesn't sleep (even on mondays)... hopefully i won't have early classes on tuesday...

p.s.2> today's portuguese vocabulary lesson:
calf = batata da perna & ankle = tornozelo

No comments:

Post a Comment